Thursday, January 7, 2010

If I Could Have One Thing From CES...


...it would be this beauty.The only thing I liked from Avatar (the James Cameron oh-look-I-sneezed-and-spent-300-mil movie) were the cool 3D control screens that the people were using, and this 40% transparent OLED laptop is as close as we can get to that. If I had this, I wouldn't need that Aston Martin DBS to feel like James Bond. Screw fancy cars and Sony VAIOs, this is what he should have in the next movie.

Unfortunately, the super-cool stuff are governed by the Law of Coolness: The cooler something is, the less likely it's actually real. This OLED laptop is just a proof-of-concept, and it also has a wacky 1000x600 resolution despite being a 14 inch laptop. The transparency goes away when you bring up anything with a white background (e.g. using a internet browser), and the transparency has no real utility. In addition, the chances of us seeing this in the flesh anytime soon is pretty close to nil, and the chances of this popping up in the nearest Best Buy is exactly nil.

Niggling details aside, this will be on my Christmas wish list for the next twenty years or so. There was about a 1000 other things at CES, but obviously I can only be bothered to talk about something extremely shiny. Obviously.

Source: Gizmodo 

No comments:

Post a Comment